The Controller of Designs holds the authority to cancel the registration of a design upon
receiving a petition for cancellation in Form 8, accompanied by the appropriate fee. The
following grounds are considered for cancellation:
- Prior Registration: If the design has already been registered in India.
- Publication: If the design has been published in India or any other location before the date
- Lack of Novelty or Originality: If the design is deemed not new or lacking in originality.
- Ineligibility for Registration: If the design does not meet the criteria for registration.
- Non-Conformity with Design Definition: If the design does not fulfill the requirements
specified in Clause (d) of Section 2, which outlines the definition of a design.